Monday, December 22, 2008

"WE"


Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets fan. I have been ever since 7th grade when all of my friends suddenly became Georgia Bulldog fans. I did not want to follow the herd, so I choose to be a Georgia Tech fan. I found out later on that I had family that went to Tech so that is the reason I use now when someone asks me why I like Georgia Tech. But back to the point. Georgia Tech beat UGAy (Tech fans throw the y onto UGA just to fuck with 'em a little bit) in the 2008 edition of "Clean, Old Fashioned Hate" on Nov 29th. The game was an instant classic and Tech pulled out the win 45-42 to end UGAy's streak at 7 games. Georgia Tech still owns the all time streak at 8 games from 1949-1956. This "poem" I found today sums up my love of the Ramblin Wreck. Check it out.

"WE"

You weren't the quarterback snubbed in the '99 Heisman voting, but you still say it. Your foot didn't kick the second chance OT field goal against Georgia that sent the Tech faithful into euphoria, but you still say it. You could no more stop saying "WE" than Calvin Johnson could have stopped pulling catches out of thin air. "WE" gotta convert. "WE" gotta move the ball. Because "WE" is an equal opportunity pronoun. Unless, of course, you're a Bulldawg or Tiger. You say "WE" because you yearn for the sound of the steam whistle, because you know a proper education starts with learning every word of "Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech" and "Up with the White and Gold." And if "WE" had been there for the 222-0 game, "WE" would have sung along until it hurt. Until it hurt good. You say "WE" because your mascot has a stinger that strikes deep into the souls of every team in the ACC; and woe to the opponent who disturbs the SWARM living in the old North Stands. "WE" were there when the 1990 National Championship team drove up Techwood after "The Game" in Charlottesville, savoring the aftertaste of victory. And "WE" will be there every Thanksgiving weekend with a little "Good Old-Fashioned Hate" in our hearts and the answer to "What's the Good Word?" on our lips. "WE" cheer at Yellow Jacket Alley. "WE" wear warpaint in white and gold. Because "WE" are the Ramblin' Wreck. The home of John Heisman. Of Bobby Dodd. And of Paul Johnson's spread offense. "WE" are the Yellow Jackets. And "WE" are ready to show everyone just what kind of sting "WE" have.

No comments:

Post a Comment