Thursday, January 8, 2009

Update on Smotlz and the Red Sox

This from ESPN talking about the differences in the contracts the Braves offered and the Red Sox offered.

"I read today in something that his agent said the other set of incentives [from the Red Sox] were 'more attainable,'" McGuirk said, according to the report. "If John Smoltz pitches like John Smoltz pitches, I think [what we offered] is attainable. If he's not healthy, it's not going to happen."

Smoltz responded to that, with a statement released through his agent, Lonnie Cooper. "I was going to withhold comment until the announcement of my signing with a new team," Smoltz said, "but I now feel the need to clear up any misconceptions and inaccuracies about the contract negotiations between myself and the Atlanta Braves.

"There were large discrepancies between the offer from the Braves and offers from other teams.

"I have always loved the city of Atlanta, and it will always be my home. I will cherish my 21 years with Bobby Cox and all my Braves teammates. I continue to wish the Atlanta Braves nothing but success in the future."

Nice, so Smoltz openingly admits that the reason he is leaving is because of money. Nice loyatly, John, glad to see that you stand for something besides money.

This actually hurts me as a Braves fan. I remember watching on October 5, 1991 as Smoltz helped clinched the divison title and lepted into the arms of Greg Olsen to celebrate the win. I remember watching last year on April 22 as he recorded his 3000strikeout. Alot of my Braves memories include John Smoltz, so yeah this really does hurt. And again, I lay alot of the blame on the Braves and think that they could have and should have shelled out a little more money to keep him, but most of the blame falls on Smoltz. To me, his history as a Brave is now tarnashied and I can never look at his the same way again. Now, he is just a greedy, disloyal ballplayer. Thanks Smoltzy!!

1 comment:

  1. I hate to see Smoltz leave. I had my gut ripped out when Glavine left several years ago. I don't think that the problem here is with the Braves as a team. The problem is the fact that the Braves are now owned by a corporation and corporations only see the bottom line. They will not put up the big money for free agents. This is why Atlanta traded Texiera. They had no plans to resign him because of his price. Basball needs a salary cap. Until that happens, the crap ass Yankees and Red Sox will snatch up the top free agents because they have owners who will bresk the bank for marginal talent.

    ReplyDelete